Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Welcome to Kenya (Part Real-Life Kenya)

Sometimes, when you are in a foreign country, or even when you are at home, bad things happen. Once you have dealt with the consequences, it is important to stay strong and move one. Sometimes it helps to write a poem in rhyming couplets and post it on your blog when you finally get adequate computer access and also apologize to all your followers for leaving them in the lurch. So that is what I intend to do:

Evening was falling and no worries were found.
All through the Sanana Hotel, hakuna matata abound.
Just returning from aerobics for a well-deserved shower,
I pulled out my watch to glance at the hour.

Seven-thirty, I'd been gone a mere 45 minutes or so.
Now hot from the gym, I'd turn the AC temperature low.

I unlocked my door and went for a drink.
But something distracted me on the way to the sink.

My wallet, which I had filled with bill-paying cash
was empty and I looked around the room in a dash.

My  purse too was open and pens strewn around.
Then I realized my computer was not to be found.

Out into the hallway I went in a rush.
"Jane! Jane!" I called at my colleague's door; this was no time to be hushed.

No answer though I rattled the knob and banged on the door.
So I returned to my room and I'll admit it, I swore.

Back in my room, cameras and iPods were found missing too.
But, luckily, my passport remained, my way home, bound in blue.

Still worried and upset, I tried to call Jane again.
This time, I heard her respond, "I'm downstairs, come friend!"

I ran down the stairs and cried, "I've been robbed, Jane!"
"My computer's gone too," she said, "A thief came."

While front-desk Jane called the police, we recounted our day
to try to sort out how things had ended this way.

I had gone to pay my bill, 20,000 kenyan shillings.
Front-desk Jane said "Go swim while I sort our your billings."

So coworker Jane and I went for a swim in the pool
while a bearded man drinking a beer watched us from his bar stool.

After our swim, we went to change for the gym
for the aerobics class at the hotel we were both in.

At aerobics, we punched and kicked and jumped off the floor,
and once, instructor Alex answered a knock at the door.

That was all I knew, then I returned to my room.
But the others knew more, as I would find out soon.

Front-desk Jane said, "I think I know that bearded man.
He checked in today with some friends and I wasn't really a fan.

"They paid upfront all in cash and gave no ID.
They asked for a room upstairs and wanted to see.
The only one room apartment was the one between the other two.
I told him that as he tried to open the doors that belong to you."

And now I remembered, I'd heard some noise in room 113.
I had thought nothing of it, but they had staked me out it seems.

"He had seemed suspicious," front-desk Jane went on,
"And carried a black college bag up under his arm."

Alex chimed in, "I remember a strange man too.
He came to my class. He must have been checking on you."

Jane and I had been targeted and followed around
by the bearded men and his friends, I realized and frowned.

They had chosen us as prey but somethings were still unclear.
I had my key with me all day. I'm sure it always was near.

A master key, I was told, must have done the trick.
You can open any door and get in and out quick.

This case of check-in and rob happens in hotels a lot.
And it's very rare that anyone ever gets caught.

The Kenyan police had arrived by this time.
They told us to repeat our stories, line for line.

There was a head officer, who asked questions quite brusquely,
and a few women officers, who carried semi-automatics and batons quite casually.

In Kenya, they speak English, but Swahili's preferred.
So I had to speak very slowly and they still missed my words.
"They stole 20,000," I said, "in Kenyan cash notes"
"1000?" "No, 20,000." "1000," the policeman wrote.

We all told our stories to the officers in blue.
Then a green-clad detective arrived and wanted to hear them too.

The night became very long, but at least I wasn't alone.
My other colleagues came and my boss, and I borrowed his phone.

I had emailed my parents and cancelled my credit cards.
Now I called my mom and told her "Don't be too alarmed.
Seureca is taking care of me and I'm okay after all.
I'll stay here in Kenya. This is just a stumble, not a fall."

My co-worker William reminded me, "At least you weren't harmed.
After all, with that funny black bag, those men were probably armed."

Things could have been much worse if I had got in their way.
After all, a computer is replaceable but a life cut short can't be saved.

Everyone discussed in Swahili the crime that occurred
while I sat on the floor and didn't understand what I heard.

Finally, after many hours, I was sent off to sleep.
And by 8am on Saturday, I was back on my feet.

To Nyali Police Station I went and my story retold,
recorded my statement and left the robbery for the police to unfold.

That was some time ago, 12 days to be exact
and above you can find most of the facts.
Now I'm settling back down in Mombasa in a new hotel
and I'm sure that the rest of this summer will turn out well.

So I hope you've enjoyed my story. It's all quite true. And now I'm stuck rhyming in couplets. I don't know what to do.  It was an experience which helps to make me strong. And, don't worry, I'll add more blog posts, maybe the next in the form of a song.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Elizabeth! That's terrible. I'm so sorry that happened to you, but it sounds like you're not going to let it ruin your trip. If there is anyone who can remain optimistic and (excessively) enthusiastic in the face of adversity, it's you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth! I'm so sorry that happened to you! Like Sarah, though, I've no doubt you'll recover in classic cheerful you style. I bought a mini safe box before coming to Kenya... maybe you might want to invest in one as well just in case?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth- You are so clever and very brave!!! I can't believe "you swore" :)
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey, I am so sorry this happened to you! I heard about it from your Uncle Curt who was at your house in NY last week. Makes me sad. But you are obviously recovering well with your clever poem!! Hope all goes more smoothly now! Love you lots !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my darling dear sweet niece
    Thank goodness it was just stuff and you’re all in one piece

    Theft of your belongings is a terrible thing
    Whether your iPod, computer or even a ring

    It stinks that someone was in your room
    But whether NY or Kenya, where you’re planted, you bloom

    Your adventures there are far from complete
    I hope and pray that from now on it will be a treat

    So here’s to more Hakuna matata coming your way
    And your future experiences in Mombasa will make you say
    “it was full of monkeys and fun, I’ll treasure my time under the African sun”

    Xoxoxo Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy crap elizabeth! can't believe and so sorry that happened, and also so appreciative of the fact that you are recovering through couplets. you're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHH Elizabeth! I can't believe this happened to you and I hope everything gets sorted out. I'm just glad you're okay. Whew! Although you lost some things, look on the bright side - you gained a real world experience that makes a good story AND you revealed your impressive poetry capabilities. Stay safe and take care

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI SWEETS... Hope this week & the ones ahead go very very well for you!
    Enjoying the July 4th weekend with Alek & Sophia. Great fireworks viewing from the Oriental bridge. Tomorrow they sail under it!
    Miss you! xoxo G'Ma & G'Pa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here in the bubble
    There may be less trouble
    But we've got our share
    Of thieves so beware!

    I've just come back home
    From a long midnight roam
    Did a lot of explaining
    And a little complaining.

    I was down at the track
    Trying to get my speed back,
    Had my bag to the side
    With my books all inside.

    Group of teens hanging out
    And they started to shout
    Nothing bad, just cat-calling
    So I just kept on running.

    They got up to leave
    And I felt relieved,
    But before they were gone
    I saw something was wrong.

    My bag had been taken
    And I felt pretty shaken,
    I could still see them running.
    Their crime was not cunning.

    I called Public Safety
    (Been doing that lately)
    Reported the loss
    Kept my fingers crossed.

    They came with their cars
    Searched under the stars,
    And found one suspect
    Which I didn't expect.

    Then they found the bag too
    Almost good as new,
    Just my credit cards missing,
    Which I count as a blessing.

    I bet they got a good look
    At that bunch of old books
    And thought, "Damn who's this chic?
    What's with all of this shit?"

    Guess they just didn't see
    The value of "Honeybee",
    Didn't care to inspect
    All the "Social Insects"

    Well it's alright by me
    No big library fee!
    And now I can read
    All about honey mead.

    ReplyDelete