Tuesday, June 7, 2011

You Should Be in Kenya Now...

My journey to Kenya was rather less eventful than Hannah's. I watched a few inflight movies on my flight from the US on American Airlines.  My 10 pound note, which I was so happy to find when I was packing, was rejected at my layover in Hethrow for being too old (who knew the British didn't like old money? What about the monarchy?)

British Money: Old, new, it all looks the same to me


During my four hour layover, I ordered an iced coffee, which I hoped would help me avoid jetlag and the starbucks guy  pointed out that I was American (I wonder what gave me away) and said that I should stop off in Ethiopia on my way to Kenya, since that is where he is from. I helpfully added that I knew where Ethiopia is (thank you Sporcle). I hopped onto my next flight on British Airways and left behind anywhere familiar.

I finally arrived in Kenya at 9pm local time (which is 1pm EST in the US) and went through customs with ease. If you ever come to Kenya, and hopefully after reading this blog and learning all about our amazing summers, you will want to come to Kenya, here is a tip: get your visa early! There were such long lines for people buying visas at the gate, but I zipped right through with my passport and visa in hand.

And as the immigration officer stamped my passport, he welcomed me to Kenya:

"You were in the US. You should be in Kenya now."

and waved me into his country.

So I suppose I did make the right choice in coming to Kenya. Afterall, it is where I should be.

3 comments:

  1. Liz!!! This is so exciting :)
    More updates! Haha (Oh and this is Lisa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! Sporcle procrastination => make new friends. Not a worthless time waster after all! Quite the contrary. I always had a hunch your extreme African geography skills would come in handy.
    Congratulations, YOU HAVE ARRIVED! So excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome!!! Can I say that if I am here and you are there? anyway, glad you made it! So excited for you and your new adventure. That's weird about the money...who knew?! and I bet he was right, you should be in Kenya now!

    ReplyDelete